Wednesday, March 19, 2014

One way to live is to break the rules of death.

When I said I wanted to avenge
my sister’s murder, I meant please
sew my eye to hers, so I can see
the moment of her death.

A prayer is a story. A psalm is a story. A death is a story. Revenge is a story. Sadness is a story. Loss is a story. Anger is a story. The hand of God is a story.

This chapbook is a story I made out of the poems of these stories.

You can order one directly from The New Megaphone, or you can pick one up at Powell’s.

4 comments:

  1. I ordered a copy from The New Megaphone. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'll be so glad when you have it! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. I ordered it too! I like the quote you posted. On a personal level, I have tried writing about my mother's murder since she died 10 years ago. And though her ghost helps me to write and she appears in the poems all the time, I have never used the words "murder" or "kill" in reference to her.Anyway, the poem snippet hit home....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wrote this. Thank you for the inspiration:

    Holes

    For years, I was the girl on the train
    who cried to herself.

    For years, one swollen eye
    glued to my mother’s ghost.

    the other gutted & glued
    to the hands of her killer.

    ReplyDelete