Sunday, October 27, 2013

I was alone / I thought about

The drive out to the Guard Station was five hours long, so I drove ten hours in two days. Alone. I drove through small cities. I drove through farmlands. I drove thought the National Grasslands. I drove into the Ochoco National Forest & up a mountain.

I saw fields of cattle that stretched endlessly. I saw packs of wild horses. I saw a herd of antelope. I saw deer bolting out of the road. I saw the sunset turn the mountains pink. 

Mostly, though, I thought. I thought about distance. I thought about the unhappiness of keeping things to one's self. I thought about the unhappiness of seeing beautiful things alone. I thought about reproducing moment for others; whether friends were enough; longing; social complexities.

I thought about the plains, about how pink the light of the sun could be. I thought about houses set back from the road; land ownership; isolation; sufficiency. I thought about food.

I thought about how you can hear the same song on the radio many times on many stations, but never the song you hope to hear.

I thought about what it meant to be free of something. I thought about driving off the road; being lost; survival; instinct.

I thought about being let down; the many levels of unfairness; ways to get what I wanted & ways to get out of what I didn't. I thought about card games. I thought about desire & practicality.

I thought about dying languages. I thought about sounds that were unrepeatable. I thought about sounds that are unknown to us.

{Minolta X-370}

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lisa. Wonderful post. Kind of sad though thought provoking. I have thought about getting some of your poetry for some time, but I don't know where to start. Maybe I should wait for the Greying Ghost chapbook as I do love those publishers. What I really wanted to ask was, what would you recommend. Do you have a favourite? Have a good Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling sad, even though I deeply prefer to be happy. If you love Greying Ghost then I would definitely support them. The chapbook should be released by this weekend, so it's not too long of a wait & there's always such fun goodies & other poems that come with it.

      Delete